programs

Our unique combination of individually tailored, year-round programs ensure that our students develop the skills they need to succeed in high school, college, and the rest of their lives. We believe that with the proper support, every child can achieve academic success.

school_icon

SCHOLARSHIPS

Access to a high-performing school can break down barriers to success and change the life trajectory of students from under-resourced neighborhoods. We seek out quality schools throughout Chicago that best fit our students’ individual needs. For those students not zoned for a high-performing public school or not accepted into a top-tier charter or selective-enrollment school, Horizons for Youth provides 90% tuition scholarships to a partnership private school, which enables these students to receive a quality education. Families commit to contributing the remaining 10% of tuition. Learn more…

mentoring2_square

MENTORING

The Big Sibling Mentoring Program provides our students with a positive role model who demonstrates the benefits of educational and financial success. Quality mentoring can have a drastic impact on a child’s life, including better student attendance, lower dropout rate, and decreased involvement with drugs and violence. Each Horizons for Youth child is paired with an individual Big Sibling mentor for the duration of his or her participation in our program. The mentor pairs meet twice each month–once at one of our scheduled Monthly Enrichment Outings, and once at a one-on-one meeting. Learn more…

tutoring_square

TUTORING

Our unique tutoring program goes well beyond simple homework help. Our volunteer tutors are trained to help students with the skills they need to eventually do the work on their own. No child is turned away from our program based on academic ability, and many of our students join Horizons for Youth below grade level and with significant learning challenges. Tutors work with the student’s teachers, parent/guardians, school administrators, and Horizons for Youth staff to evaluate and address each child’s unique learning challenges hindering their achievement. Learn more…

fieldtrip2

ENRICHMENT OUTINGS

We know that educational experiences outside the classroom lead to better academic and social outcomes. We take our students and their mentors on monthly Enrichment Outings, exposing them to a variety of places and activities that they might not otherwise encounter. Students broaden their experiences and perspectives, while strengthening relationship with their mentors. Activities during the last year included exploring the Garfield Park Conservatory, enjoying the views from the Willis Tower Skydeck, bowling, and learning to skate at a local ice rink. Learn more…

summerschool2

SUMMER ACADEMIC PROGRAM

Our month-long, full-day Summer Academic Program helps prevent summer learning loss in students from low-resource areas, enabling them to begin the school year well prepared. Studies show that students in low-resource areas lose over 2 months of math and reading grade-level equivalency over the summer months. Our program consists of small classes taught by specially selected teachers to reinforce students’ skills in reading, writing, mathematics, social studies, and science. Year after year, the effectiveness of the program is demonstrated by the fact that the students improve their reading and math scores across the board, while also learning life skills necessary for success in high school, college, and beyond. Learn more…

highschool2

HIGH SCHOOL PROGRAM

We help our students and their families navigate the complicated process of applying to Chicago high schools. As part of our program, middle school students research and visit several high-quality schools. To determine which high school will best meet the individual needs of a student, we combine student grades and test scores with graduation data and extracurricular activities offered by a specific school. By developing relationships with both the schools and the students, we are able to help families select the school that best suits their child. Learn more...

college_icon2

COLLEGE PROGRAM

In today’s climate, it’s not enough to simply gain acceptance to college; high school students need the academic foundation and skills necessary to succeed beyond college. For our students–most of whom will be first generation college students–we provide a comprehensive college readiness program to ensure they are able to meet future challenges head-on. We position our students for success before they even set foot on campus. Learn more…

SummerProgramStudent